[OM] Re: M1

Subject: [OM] Re: M1
From: Nils Frohberg <nilsf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 20:07:02 +0100
On Wed, 03 Mar 2004, John Hermanson wrote:

> The meter casing is the metal casing the meter movement is housed in. The
> screw on the circuit board is a ground screw (it is connected to the main
> body casting) , so checking between it and any other point on the metal body
> casting should be "0" ohms (like putting one probe in one strap lug, the
> other probe in the other lug).

ok, this works.

> If you want to check if meter movement is itself good it must be done this
> way. Probe must go to contact where meter wire is soldered.  Meter casing
> has only one wire coming out of it.  Trace it back to the board to see where
> it is soldered.
> An open meter means that somewhere in the meter "winding" (which is hundreds
> or thousands of turns of super-fine hair-thin wire) the wire is broken.
> meter replacement would be required.

obviously i have an open meter. the resistance between the two points is
approx 16kOhm.

> The meter itself is a press fit into the outer meter casing.  So that (the
> contact area between the meter movement and the outer casing) is yet another
> electrical contact point that can fail.  Checking this would require
> removing the meter from the camera which I recommend only for those who have
> changed meters many times.

i guess that the camera has to undergo a CLA after all. i'll check the
addresses i received here and maybe local stores and decide then if it
is worth it.

thanks for all your help,

--nils

--
The Things I'd do as Evil Overlord (www.eviloverlord.com):
117. No  matter  how much  I  want  revenge,  I  will never  order  an