[OM] Re: Expiration date of unboxed film?

Subject: [OM] Re: Expiration date of unboxed film?
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:58:31 -0700
At 03:52 PM 03/03/2004, Don Shedrick wrote:
>When I order film from Adorama, it often comes without the original
>box that would have the expiration date.  How can I know the
>expiration date?

The suspicious side of my nature would lead me to believe that there's a
reason why the boxes aren't included, to wit: the film's already
expired.  I wouldn't worry 'bout it too much, as long as it was properly
refrigerated.  I've used Provia film that had expiration dates as long as a
year to two years in the past with good results.  Of course, I don't think
there's any way to guarantee that it *was* properly refrigerated...

Garth

P.S.:  My local pro store also sells "unboxed" film (mostly Ilford
stuff).  One of the sales staff who works there (and who I've known since
the 1970s) claims that there's no issue with the film -- they just bought
it in  bulk boxes and took 'em out, is all.  Kind of like the way you can
buy 20-roll boxes of pro film, or just a couple of rolls out of the box in
the 'fridge.