[OM] Re: Frozen OM2SP?

Subject: [OM] Re: Frozen OM2SP?
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:45:45 -0800
Nope! Overwound as in " the spring loaded pawl that drops into a part of
the wind mechanism to stop it at the end of a cycle had too much grease,
or too thick grease, or too cold grease on it and didn't react quickly
enough to stop the wind mechanism so it went too far and now all the
complicated mechanical bits that depend on a known 'wound' state won't
work." Not really more of a design flaw than other mechanical things
that need periodic maintenance, esp. regarding lubrication. I think I'll
go check if the Ford need an oil change.

It can be fixed temporarily by removing the bottom and resetting the
wind state, if you know what to do. In the case of the camera that was
very cold, that might take care of it for a long time. But generally, if
it does it once, it's going to do it again and again..... The only long
term solution is to clean and properly relube the mechanism, part of a
standard CLA (Clean Lubricate and Adjust). If yours isn't doing it,
don't worry, just use it normally and enjoy it until it needs service.
When repair people like our much esteemed John and Clint say some
malfinction is common, they are apeaking about a special subset of all
cameras, those that have needed repair, not necessarily the larger
population of all cameras out there.

Moose