[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #55

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #55
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:14:36 -0800
>OK...  I have been working with my new Epson 2200 for about a month now.  I
>have seen some "Epson 2200" posts, and thought I should pass on what I have
>found out.  I know there are some list members who are way more
>knowledgable, but maybe I can get someone headed in the right direction.
><SNIP>
>

>BW printing (my main interest) is a real challenge.  I am using Epson's
>Enhanced Matte Paper, and am very satisfied with it.  Photo Rag is a fine
>arts paper that (conveniently) works with the same settings.  Glossy paper
>doesn't work at all.  To do BW printing with the 2200, you have to remove
>the Photo Black cartridge from the 6-cartridge set and replace it with a
>Matte Black cartridge.  That takes about 2 minutes, and almost no ink is
>wasted.

You might want to check out the link below. Ethan Hansen of Dry Creek
Photo has recommendations for paper for the Ultrachrome Epson
printers. The info looks quite good; I will have to try these papers
out sometime.
http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/printers/epson_media.htm

>I don't think expensive RIP (Raster Image Processing) software is absolutely
>necessary for someone starting out with BW digital printing.  The best RIP
>seems to be ImagePrint ($500), but it reportedly is difficult to install,
>poorly documented, and hard to learn.  Some people some swear by it and some
>swear at it.

Sounds like color management to me! ;-)

><SNIP>
>
>The other option is BO (black only) printing.  You use only one ink from the
>6-cartridge set - Matte Black.  BO printing is less expensive than FI,
>because you don't need a RIP and you use less ink.  I think 2880 dpi BO
>prints can be stunning, but they do  have a different look than FI prints.
>
>BO makes the most sense for me, since I don't want to spend a great deal of
>time getting a handle on the more complex (and transient) FI methodology.  I
>get good results with BO printing, so I can spend my time taking pictures,
>and trying to learn Photoshop.  I'll use BO printing until something better
>shows up.  The entire procedure for making BO prints is outlined in detail
>by Clayton Jones at www.cjcom.net/digiprnarts.htm.  There also is a forum
>for BW digital printing,
>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/DigitalBlackandWhiteThePrint/.  I'm not trying
>to sell anyone on BO, but want to point out that it is an option.

Dick,
You might want to dig up the Shutterbug review of the 2200 (March or
April 2003?). I think the reviewer found something similar, that
printing B&W with BO printing gave very nice results.

I haven't tried Premium Glossy on the 2200 because of the bronzing
issue, but I can recommend Epson Premium Lustre, which is many user's
favorites.  I also really like Iford Galerie Smooth Pearl. FWIW,
Ilford has released printing profiles for this paper, and  I printed
out some test prints with it, and the profiles look *really* good.
Very neutral for a canned profile.

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_english/prod_html/galerie/htm/lps/ICC.htm

Sounds like you're getting very nice results from the printer.

-Stephen.

--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!