[OM] OM Digital adapters, Digital in general

Subject: [OM] OM Digital adapters, Digital in general
From: Donald MacDonald <d1956m198d@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:45:56 -0000

I've been sitting on the fence re the MA-1 discussions, partly because I'm
not interested in going digital, partly waiting for the fog to clear.

On point one, I no longer rule it out completely. This is a big step for
me. I still worry about storage. Tom S. told me about his terabytes of
storage, I've read a few things by others about multiple backups and so
on. But it still worries me. I do have personal experience of media
failing, without warning, when attempting to access them. At least I can
visually check my slides and negs, and pretty fast. I have yet to
experience catastrophic failure of film media (how's that for tempting
fate!).

I've read about pros who have carefully stored their slides and had them
fade or develop growths. Well, maybe I've just been lucky. The only
deterioration I've experienced was with E6 material I didn't fix properly.
Or negatives from decades ago that I didn't handle very well. Slides from
the late 70s (Agfa CT18 and Kodachrome 64) are in superb condition.

Stuff I've read about the E-1 and its development roadmap is what changed
my mind. I think Olympus got this right. Almost every detail of the E-1
would convince me to buy it over its rivals. If the industry has any
sense, it will follow this lead. Perhaps, sadly, not the 4/3 'standard'.

As to the adapter, OK, I think this is a mistake. Results as shown
recently, and previously with other digital SLRs, prove that acceptable
results are possible with OM lenses and various digital sensors. Lack of
an income prevents me being in the game, but if I had the chance to buy an
adapter I would spring for an E-1 now. Shoot film mostly, but use the E-1
for specific shoots where digital is an advantage TO ME. Lack of an
adapter means I can wait. Indefinitely.

D.

--
Donald Neil MacDonald BA DipLIS