[OM] Re: F280 on OM-1

Subject: [OM] Re: F280 on OM-1
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 22:29:20 -0800
on 3/5/04 9:58 PM, Rob Harrison at robhar@xxxxxx wrote:

> On the other hand...who knows if I could use my SF20 Leica flash on the
> OM-1? Graham? Skip? Or vice versa, use the SF20 on the OM-4ti? (in auto
> mode of course, no TTL. ) The contacts are in the right place, but I've
> heard tales of high capacity capacitors, delicate electronics and so
> on....
>
> -Rob
> Seattle

Rob - If the Leica flash has a light sensor on the body of the flash, it can
work with the OM-1n. No need to worry about 'delicate electronics' as the
OM-1n uses a -mechanical- switch to trigger the flash when the shutter
curtain is fully open (1/60 and below speeds). I don't know the trigger
voltage of the SF20; you might be able to find it on the net somewhere, but
if it is a fairly new design (post 1990 or so) it is probably low enough for
electronically switched flash contacts. IIRC the suggested voltage is ~6VDC
or lower.

You won't get the in-viewfinder flash signal that the contacts of the T-20
and T-32 will illuminate, but if you keep 'your other eye' open you'll at
least know the flash fired...<g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...