[OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #56

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus Digest V1 #56
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2004 23:48:35 -0800

>Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 12:21:35 -0800
>From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Re: OM to E1 adaptor

<SNIP>

>Buy another pair of Advents? Maybe I will at that, but I've put it off for
>a long time for the reason already cited: I don't own components of
>sufficient quality to justify the expense. My old Sony receiver up north
>isn't the answer! Neither is the gear we have down here in Scotts Valley
>(which drives a pair of Infinity boxes). This might, however, cause me to
>at least snoop around for some used Rotel gear or something of the kind.
>Anyone on this list ever hook up that stuff? Terrific sound in its own
>right, and not just "for the money." A sort of perfect match for speakers
>in the very modest price range of Advents.

Tris

Unfortunately, the stereo gear I cited earlier was stolen from a
burglary out of my place in Berkeley more than 20 yrs. ago. I
replaced the Jung modified PAT-5 with a NAD integrated amp  (which I
still have), and another pair of large Advents. The cones blew out of
those years ago, and that's when I got the Cambridge Soundworks
Ensemble II's. They sound really nice and neutral, just the way I
like it.

As for your comments about B&W speakers? Yes, I have heard them, and
they sound great. I think the model I heard were B&W 801's??? Been to
long to remember. They were being driven by  some tube amp that
sounded *wonderful*. Another speaker system that I heard that were
great were called Snells. Don't know if they are still in business or
not. I left the craziness of high-end audio years ago...got too busy
for it.

-Stephen.
--

2001 CBR600F4i - Fantastic!