[OM] Re: OT: Bad computer time stamp

Subject: [OM] Re: OT: Bad computer time stamp
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 10:33:42 -0000
This is how it should work Moose:-

Open Date and Time in Control Panel. Click the Internet Time tab. Select the
"Automatically synchronize with an Internet time server" check box. In the
Server list, click the arrow, and then click the time server you want to
use. You can type the name of a time server if you want to use one that is
not listed. Only time servers that use the Simple Network Time Protocol
(SNTP) will work.

NB that although there are (likely) two listed timeservers with no explicit
option to add another, you can simply overtype in the selection box with
your chosen timeserver.

It works that way on this machine running XP Pro.

There is a searchable list of SNTP servers here:
http://www.ntp-servers.com/uk/world-time-server.html

HOWEVER, you may have a Netgear router with an odd SNTP configuration
problem and you like to check the following interesting write up (and even
if you do not have Netgear kit!)

http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~plonka/netgear-sntp/

Piers