[OM] 85/2 vs 90/2 vs 35-105

Subject: [OM] 85/2 vs 90/2 vs 35-105
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 17:00:20 -0800
Anyone have similar images/comparison shots taken with these three
lenses they can point me to? The 35-105 is an orange in with the
apples...but I'm curious (other than a couple stops) what I'd be giving
up.

The 90/2 does 1:2 macro, the 35-105 does 1:5, the 85/2 gets to 1:7.

The 90/2 weighs a portly 550 g, which is close to a dealbreaker for
anything that'll be carried around. The zoom is also up there at 470 g,
but "replaces"  several primes. The 85/2 is only 260 g.

I've heard (but not seen) both of the primes have beautiful b*keh.

The zoom of course covers most of the daily walkabout range, and from
what I've read on this list seems quite popular for that use. Limiting
myself to 20 seconds per shot (to maintain familial harmony) makes the
zoom an attractive option.

Price of course is a consideration. THe 90/2 runs $1000 new. 85/2 is
available new from OlympusUSA for $349. John H. has a couple of the
35-105s for around $200, which seems like a decent price, since you
know they won't need a CLA....

I'll also have a 50/1.2 for available darkness shots. I also have a
75-150/4 which, realistically, would probably do everything I need it
to, used in conjunction with the 50/1.2. (I'll be using the M for wider
than 50mm.)

-Rob Harrison
Seattle