[OM] OM-4 winding problem

Subject: [OM] OM-4 winding problem
From: Duncan Paterson <paterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:29:20 +0100

My OM-4 seems to have a problem with the film take-up spool or winding
mechanism. On several occasions I've lost shots due to overlapping frames
resulting from incomplete wind-on. As far as I can see, the film tension on
the take up side doesn't seem to be properly maintained and so when I get
close to the end of a roll the exposed film coil is not as compact as it
should be which causes the section of film behind the shutter to slip on
the sprockets as the wind-on lever is turned. This happens with manual
wind-on and also with the winder 2. When I tried it with an MD2, it worked
perfectly with no film loaded but the motor refused to wind at all when I
put a film in, suggesting that with a film loaded the wind-on action
becomes too stiff. To me it does feel stiffer than other comparable OM
bodies. I'm pretty sure it's not my loading technique because it has never
happened with any other OMs and when I check these with a test roll, the
film is tightly wound onto the take up spool at the end of the roll. Does
anyone have any ideas or does the camera just need serviced?

Cheers,
Duncan.