[OM] Re: Flying with Tripod

Subject: [OM] Re: Flying with Tripod
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 17:47:57 EST
In a message dated 3/9/04 12:26:21 PM Central Standard Time, omlist@xxxxxxx
writes:

> So to answer your question, Charlie: don't be surprised if you're given
> heat for carrying <insert-unusual-device> into an aircraft. It depends on
> airport, country and whoever is manning the security counter you walk
> through. Best of luck, though -- I hope you're not running into
> complications.

That sounds like a regular nightmare.  One which would make one want to stay
home.  The approach, I have taken is one of attempting to avoid as many of the
hassles as possible.  On a trip the end of the week, I will carry two
tripods, one packed safely in my suit case and the one I'm less attached to in
its
own padded and well packed case with underwear, socks, etc., added for extra
protection.  My cameras will be empty and will go through the "death-ray"
machines without a request for hand searching.  No film will be carried with me
as B&
H has shipped it to my first stop.  On my return leg, I anticipate having
little or no unprocessed film and will request a hand search for that batch if
there is any.

Perhaps what I have learned is to anticipate possible problems and pack to
facilitate avoiding them.  The measures used at security checkpoints today may
seem draconian compared to those used in the past, however I doubt that anyone
would complain if they felt it might prevent a repeat of 9-11 on the aircraft
they happen to be flying on that day.  It is unfortunate that some people
appear to get profiled in the process of protecting everyone, however until
this
world becomes a kinder and gentler place, that may be the price we all have to
pay to travel more safely.

In my experience as a traveler, which is less than some but more than most
who travel for pleasure rather than business, I have seen people bring the ire
of the inspector upon themselves by just being stupid.  An approach I have
taken is to treat these folks as I would like to be treated, have the
documentation ready that I know they will request and be pleasant to them so
that their
experience of processing me through their system will be a pleasant one for
them, as well as, for me.  I know this doesn't always avoid unpleasant
experiences, however on balance I've found that what I expect to happen
generally does
happen.  If I expect a pleasant experience and do what I can do to make it that
way, a pleasant experience is what I'll usually experience.

The best advice any of us could take is to "think" about what we are doing
and to practice the golden rule.  There will be times when things just don't go
right and when you find yourself in one of those situations, know that even if
you are "right", trying be "right" is literally and figuratively only going
to dig a deeper hole.

This piece is not intended to suggest anyone on this list has ever been
anything but nice to the folks on security, but rather is stating a point of
view
which can make the process of running the gauntlet a little more successful.
Bill Barber