[OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout

Subject: [OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 17:03:34 -0800
A couple of thoughts on this. I take more photos on vacations and trips
than I do otherwise. You never know what you will encounter, like the
two weeks of rain in Thailand during the dry season. Even if the
weather is good you may be inside when flash is either inappropriate or
forbidden. I usually carry a mix of ISO 100 and 400 slide films, and
either change out the film or carry a backup loaded with fast film.
Most ISO 200 slide films are as coarse as the ISO 400 with out the
speed advantage. So I think clean ISO 400 is needed.

One of the interesting things about "bridge cameras" is their
relatively fast lenses. It is to avoid going into higher ISO. Their
program modes delay going to higher ISO as the very last resort(shutter
speeds to slow to handhold). The all purpose lenses on DSLRs are
frequently kind of slow because higher ISO is very usable. On the other
hand "bridge cameras" with their hybrid or electronic shutters are very
easy to hand hold at slow speeds because there is nothing slapping
around.

Many digital camera photographers get a digital noise program to deal
with noise at higher ISO. They are essential for the "bridge cameras"
because of the aspirations of the people who use them.  The most
effective without damage to the image seem to be Noise Ninja, Neat
Image and Grain Surgery.

Winsor
Long Beach, California
USA