[OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout

Subject: [OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 20:39:35 -0500
The high ISO noise is my biggest concern regarding the E-1.  I can handle the
mediocre 3fps speed, I can handle the limited lens selection.  But I'm
concerned about the noise.

I shoot a lot of middle-school basketball in dim gyms where I use Fuji Press
800 pushed to 1600.  That gives me 1/250 at f/2.8 at the best gyms and 1/60 at
the worst ones.  The typical combo is 1/125 at f/2.8 for most of the night
games at 1600.  My best shots were with a borrowed Nikon 70-200/2.8 VR lens on
an F5.  I've also took quite a few with an OM4t + 90/2 macro and a Canon A2 +
85/1.8 USM.  The AF on the Nikon and Canon bodies was far too good to ignore.
I set the cameras on focus-release priority (where the shutter will only fire
if the subject is in focus), and I got 75-80% keepers.  With MF, the percentage
is down to 50% and I have to confine myself to less aggressive action.  I NEED
autofocus.

But the images with the 90/2 were very, very nice; at least the ones that were
in focus. :-o

I'm going to go to one of the big NYC camera stores soon and shoot some E-1
test shots at high ISO's soon to see what it's like.

I don't relish having to post-process all my shots, although I guess that I
could do it in batch mode.  I haven't been too impressed with the noise
reduction results so far with SOTA programs like Neat Image.  They tend to make
the images look weird.  (This could also be operator error.)

I want to take the pictures with a DSLR and have them come right out of the
camera onto a printer.  Is that too much to ask?

Skip