[OM] New walkabout lens

Subject: [OM] New walkabout lens
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 20:48:39 -0800
Well my new eb*y Tokina ATX 35~200 was in the garage when I got home
yesterday. A check showed some external paint wear, optics are EX as
noted in the description. However the zoom action is a little loose and
uneven, not EX as described but adequate and hey, who am I to complain,
it was a bargain. Tips on tuning up the zoom action would be
appreciated. Today was such a fine day here in the PacNW that i knocked
off a little early, dropped by the house to pick up the dog and headed
to the beach. First impression of the lens was that it is a little
bigger in diameter than the 35~105 but not excessively so and not
noticeably different to carry. Worth it for the longer reach. I wish it
went to 28mm on the short end but 35 is ok. Focus was easy even though
the viewfinder is not the brightest. Attaching to a tripod leaves a lot
of lens hanging off the front. And that 67mm filter size means another
c. pol. will set me back as much as the lens cost.I'm not inclined
toward a step-up ring to 72mm as this lens will go backpacking and I
don't want to risk the B+W. I took a few photos so will see how it
produces in a few days. If the photos turn out I'll have to get it a new
Zing case. The one I use on the 35~105 is already stretched pretty
tight.  These cases are great for hiking. All in all seems like a pretty
good grab and go lens. I see why Moose likes it. With it and a little
wide in my pocket I'm pretty well covered. Say Moose, how does a 1.4 or
2x work?

mike