[OM] New Oly Photos

Subject: [OM] New Oly Photos
From: "Rich" <deepkeel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:20:21 -0800
David posted:
>http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=382101

Nice work with the 300, David!  My only action shot so far with the 300 was
a rather rushed shot of a young whitetail doe bouncing away from me in the
alfalfa.  She was doing about her third nervous hoppity-hop when I took
this:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=234534

The 2nd shot, just to the right of the bouncing doe pic, shows her (same
doe) in the shadow (lower left corner of the frame), with her boyfriend, a
young buck, watching from the distance.  Also taken with the 300/4.5.  I
took both shots standing in the bed of my (empty, so bouncy/jiggly) Ford
Ranger, shooting over the top of the cab, as the grass surrounding the field
was too high to shoot through/over.  So I wasn't on the most stable of
platforms to start with.  Being whitetails, even young ones, I knew my time
& luck was very limited too, so I felt rushed, and wasted no time getting
into position & shooting.

The first shot in the alfalfa was about 1/4 mile just outside the business
district of town.  The second shot was a little further away, but right next
to the farmer's house, which is just out of the pic to the left of the buck,
and maybe 200 yards back from the highway.  They get brave early morning and
late afternoon.  They LOVE that alfalfa!

Neat lens isn't it?  I didn't really expect either of those pics to come out
at all (and the few others I took there didn't - too blurred from movement),
but now I'm going to try more handheld "grab" shots with it, when it just
happens to be mounted and the opportunities arise. :-).

Be careful around racing dirt bikes, eh?

Rich, 1968 BSA 441 Victor