[OM] Re: 81a filters

Subject: [OM] Re: 81a filters
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:47:32 -0400

> >Someone on this list steered me toward using an 81a for color problems at
high altitiudes.

> At least a couple of us, maybe more, and I'm sure Moose's combo filters
> were mentioned
> Moose

Yes, I remember that discussion now that you remind me. You have an amazing
memory Moose. Anyways, a belated thanks to you.
I did know about the existence of Moose's 81a combo filters, but didn't get
them as they are expensive, and also a lot of the time I don't want the
bother of adjusting, and especially the light loss, of a polarizer. Plus I
already have circular polarizers.
What was different about this trip from previous trips to Bolivia was that
we had rain every day for at least a short part of the day, and consequently
a lot of cloud. We were also in what is called the high jungle, still above
10,000 feet, but with trees and grass and everything green. It almost made
me doubt my decision to use the 81a filter all the time, seeing as it was an
experiment for me, and I didn't understand exactly what I was doing. Some
days I gritted my teeth and debated removing it, thinking all my slides were
going to be too yellowish. As I said, I didn't really understand technically
what was going on. But I'm glad I stuck with your (and whoever else's)
advice.
The rest of my life is lived here near the ocean in southern NB at less than
500 feet above sea level, about the same elevation as Washington DC, where
the color balance standard was established, so now I also understand why
I've always been happy without using an 81a here.
Thanks,
Wayne