[OM] Re: Film and xray

Subject: [OM] Re: Film and xray
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:00:52 +0000
Experiences differ greatly.  Some people have reported that they've had
film completely fogged out by x-rays, but personally I've been lucky and
never experienced problems.  I mostly carry ISO100 film, which should be
unlikely to suffer from X-ray effects, but usually have a roll or two of
1600 speed film.  In fact, I took one roll of Fuji HG1600 film around
the world on something like 20 flights, scanned more than ten times,
sometimes in hold luggage, sometimes in hand luggage, pre- and
post-September 11th 2001, took it everywhere from sub-Arctic parts to
sub-Saharan parts, and eventually finally found a use for it
photographing a spectacular thunderstorm in Siberia.  The resulting
exposures were fine - no fogging at all.  I'm still quite surprised to
be honest, and usually ask for hand inspections these days if I'm
carrying the fast stuff.

Roger