[OM] Re: Film and xray

Subject: [OM] Re: Film and xray
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 19:52:10 -0500
For film transport the important date in the US is not pre or post
September 11, 2001 but rather pre or post December 31, 2003.

By December 31, 2003 all US airports were to have installed powerful
xray scanning devices for checked luggage.  Many of them are
manufactured by L-3 Communications which I worked for at the time.
Believe me, these babies will fry your film at any speed.  Usually
they're out back somewhere where you can't see them.  Sometimes they're
visible.  Look for the light tan box about the size of an SUV that is
sucking up luggage on a conveyor.  Bright red L-3 logo.

The little scanners at the gate for hand carried items are 90 pound
weaklings by comparison.  I never use film faster than ISO 400 and have
never had any problems with the little gate scanners even after multiple
passes.  However, there is no way that I would put unexposed film into
my checked luggage today.  Might as well throw it in the trash can.

Chuck Norcutt

In fact, I took one roll of Fuji HG1600 film around