[OM] Re: ( OM ) 35~105 Tokina seen FS

Subject: [OM] Re: ( OM ) 35~105 Tokina seen FS
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 11:26:37 -0800
on 3/11/04 1:17 AM, Brian Swale at bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> No connection etc.   Practically the same as the Zuiko; same maker,
> different label.
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3802721833&category=3344
>
> Good price at the moment
>
> Brian

I don't know if the Tokina and the Zuiko were made by the same company or
not... I have both and I don't think they are exactly similar... the Oly
lens is much better made IMO (and probably cost 3X as much new). The Tokina
is well-made, but not up to the fit/finish of the Olympus primes and zooms.

I just picked up a little Nikon FG (OT - it was dropped and I need a new top
cover if anyone has a parts camera lying around...). This FG came with a
"Zoom Nikkor 35-105 f3.5-4.5". Interesting enough, this Nikon lens also has
a switchable macro collar, enabling it to reach 1:4 at the closest. This
appears to have been an almost common design for this lens category. The
Nikkor needs this collar, as the closest 'normal' focus is only a bit under
5 feet. The Nikon lens is solidly made, with all metal construction, and
appears to be in good shape. Someday I'll probably even use it to take
pictures... I figured for $33 for the whole kit it was worth it if only for
the lens. <g>
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...

and a few Nikon bits tucked away somewhere...