[OM] Traitor! I got an E-1 today :-)

Subject: [OM] Traitor! I got an E-1 today :-)
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:53:03 -0500
Well, I finally did it.  I went over to the dark side today.

I went to B&H in NYC this morning and bought an Olympus E-1 + 14-54/2.8 + FL50.
 I have had too many reasons lately to need one and frankly, I was just tired
of waiting.  The two things that put me over the edge were the availability of
the MA-1 adapater and the downloading samples from Steve's Digicams of ISO 800
and ISO 1600 images.  I compared them to scans from Fuji Press 800, both at ISO
800 and pushed to ISO 1600.  The character of the digital noise vs. grain is
different, as the digital images tend to have color bleeding.  But the
"graininess" of the images was very comparable.  So my last significant
objection was overwhelmed.

I didn't buy the high-capacity battery/grip, the 50/2 Macro, or the 50-200/2.8
yet.  That's another $2,000 that I didn't want to spend yet.  Perhaps in a few
weeks, as I still have some non-OM-System goodies to sell.

The battery is charging now and I'm going to shoot some basketball tonight as a
warm-up.

Wish me luck,

Skip
skipwilliams at pobox.com