[OM] Re: Traitor! I got an E-1 today :-)

Subject: [OM] Re: Traitor! I got an E-1 today :-)
From: Stephen Scharf <scharfsj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 21:10:21 -0800

>Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 15:53:03 -0500
>From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: [OM] Traitor! I got an E-1 today  :-)
>

>Well, I finally did it.  I went over to the dark side today.
>
>I went to B&H in NYC this morning and bought an Olympus E-1 +
>14-54/2.8 + FL50.  I have had too many reasons lately to need one
>and frankly, I was just tired of waiting.  The two things that put
>me over the edge were the availability of the MA-1 adapater and the
>downloading samples from Steve's Digicams of ISO 800 and ISO 1600
>images.  I compared them to scans from Fuji Press 800, both at ISO
>800 and pushed to ISO 1600.  The character of the digital noise vs.
>grain is different, as the digital images tend to have color
>bleeding.  But the "graininess" of the images was very comparable.
>So my last significant objection was overwhelmed.
>
>I didn't buy the high-capacity battery/grip, the 50/2 Macro, or the
>50-200/2.8 yet.  That's another $2,000 that I didn't want to spend
>yet.  Perhaps in a few weeks, as I still have some non-OM-System
>goodies to sell.
>
>The battery is charging now and I'm going to shoot some basketball
>tonight as a warm-up.
>
>Wish me luck,
>
>Skip

Skip,
Well, I for one am genuinely happy for you. Congratulations! I feel
pretty confident you are going to love it. You will be a convert in
no time. The flash unit for it works very well, and I know the
metering is excellent. Mike Doran, one of the guys I shoot with, is
working to get us one for a year to try out, along with the 14-54,
the 50-200, the 150/f2 (I really want to try that lens!), and the
300/2.8. I think it will happen.

Good luck tonight and please post a link to your basketball photos! I
can't wait to see them.

Oh, and welcome to the dark side, Luke.

-Darth Vader.
--