[OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout

Subject: [OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 23:04:41 -0800 (PST)
Garth,

The camera was focusing on whatever is closest. This is typical
of all multipoint autofocus cameras.  However, unlike most 5 or
7 point arrays, the A1 has a bunch of them.  More like the
EOS-3.

Another cool aspect is a feature called "DMA".  Just let the
camera autofocus and then you adjust the focus as needed.  I use
the "Single" Autofocus mode with DMA almost exclusively.  Manual
for studio work.  The only real weakness I've found with the
autofocus is that you can't limit or select which focus point to
use without seriously affecting AF speed.  It really does like
having many points to work from.  The random times it fails to
pick out the right spot, the deep DOF saves your skin.

The moment you turn the focus ring the display lets you know the
distance in meters.  Now this is a major design flaw.  I would
have liked to have feet.  I know, get over it.

The histogram shows for the entire screen. But that's not
necessarily a bad thing. When you spot meter in on something the
entire screen changes brightness and you can see the histogram
shuffle to show you what's happening to the entire picture.

This does point of another weakness.  Uh oh.  Not another.  It
has no metering system in manual exposure mode.  If you have the
screen setup for exposure priority the histogram may be viewed,
but in display priority you're toast.

I took the battery pack off tonight so I could take the camera
with me to a restaurant for my wife's annual celebration of her
39th birthday.  It felt really awkward--half of my hand could
find a place to hold onto.  (the camera, not my wife) The
battery pack really is desirable, but it's so nice having the
option to get rid of the bulk.

Whatever Michael is about to write in his A2 review, remember
where you heard it first.

Vert and Toky have started their own dairy farm.

AG