[OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout

Subject: [OM] Re: Woe is Me - Bridge Camera Fallout
From: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 07:49:54 -0700
At 12:04 AM 13/03/2004, you wrote:
>Garth,
>
>The camera was focusing on whatever is closest.

Er, I'm absolutely sure that it was *not* doing that.  It looked more like
it was searching for the greatest-contrast point within the larger focusing
area.

>  This is typical
>of all multipoint autofocus cameras.  However, unlike most 5 or
>7 point arrays, the A1 has a bunch of them.  More like the
>EOS-3.

That's neat.

[snip]

>The moment you turn the focus ring the display lets you know the
>distance in meters.  Now this is a major design flaw.  I would
>have liked to have feet.  I know, get over it.

Meters works fine for me.  In fact, I think meters work fine for everyone
except folks in America and Liberia.  ;-)

Are you sure there's no menu item to change it to feet?

[snip]

>I took the battery pack off tonight so I could take the camera
>with me to a restaurant for my wife's annual celebration of her
>39th birthday.  It felt really awkward--half of my hand could [not]
>find a place to hold onto.  (the camera, not my wife) The
>battery pack really is desirable, but it's so nice having the
>option to get rid of the bulk.

Having a small hand, I found the ergonomics of the A1 without the battery
pack to be quite acceptable.  But the EVF-only viewing still gets under my
skin.  Ah well, perhaps the E-2's coming soon...

Garth