[OM] Re: Double secret *Bay auction

Subject: [OM] Re: Double secret *Bay auction
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2004 12:35:59 -0800
Yah, I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, but in the end I'd
have to agree with you. I've also learned to actually read the
feedback, not just look at the percentage of positives. Often there's a
subtext of dissatisfaction even in the positives. Always good to look
at the ID history too. I've gotten so I won't consider buying from
anyone with less than about 99% positive ratings.

I got burned big time on a L*eica lens, when I first started out with
my MP and didn't know what to look for in a 50 year old lens. It was
described in the auction as mint. My first photos were all out of focus
and low contrast. I thought it was my technique. Turned out my $290
purchase required $250 worth of repair--a new front element.
Unfortunately it took me five months to figure out the problem (we
moved in the interim)...and I'd already left positive feedback on the
transaction. The guy agreed to refund me $125, but has never followed
through on his word.

On the other hand, I've gotten some pretty good deals on the *bay, and
other sellers have gone out of their way to rectify any problems. So I
guess it evens out. You win some, you lose some.

Rob Harrison
Seattle