[OM] Re: [lens] Re: Dust...

Subject: [OM] Re: [lens] Re: Dust...
From: Thomas Heide Clausen <omlist@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:04:27 +0100
On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 17:24:25 -0500
Gregg Iverson <golftooter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The air in a scuba tank is also very dry, which would be good.  It might
> be difficult or expensive to rigg up the plumbing from the tank to a
> nozzle.

Ahh, I was too slow to see this reply before posting this suggestion my
own...looking away from the list for more than a moment....

Get a cheap 1.stage scuba regulator off of eBay. Since you're not betting
your life on it, a simple piston-based used thingie should do, and
shouldn't cost a lot. On the HP port, you can screw a HP-hose with an
air-pistol and get air at 2-300bar, but not a high flow (HP ports have very
very small holes to prevent that if a SPG blows, the whole cylinder will be
empty in a flash). On a LP port, you can do the same and get air at about
10bar, but significantly higher volume (LP hoses and ports have a higher
diameter since those are what you'd breath from if you're a diver). The
hoses and fittings to the 1. stage should be std. off-the-shelf components
which you can buy relatively cheap.

Since air-pistols typically are upstream valves, remember to get an
overpreasure-thingie (with a downstream valve) to ensure that an 1.stage
failure won't cause your air-pistols to "explode". Such
overpreasure-thingies can be had easilly in your local scuba store.

While you're in the scuba-store, sign up for some classes and come to
France to go diving with me ;)

IMO, the most expensive thing will be the cylinder, which you will need to
keep hydrostatically tested every x years (x depending on you country of
residence) for your local scuba-shop to be willing to fill it.

--thomas

> A different option that work well for me is a micro fiber cloth from
> 3M.  They are quite inexpensive, come in several colors :-) and can be
> used safely on lenses, etc.  I get mine at Walmart.
>
> gregg
>

> >Or use a scuba tank, cheaply refillable with clean air.

> To contact the list admins:
> mailto:olympusadmins@xxxxxxxxxx?subject="Olympus List Problem"

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)