[OM] Re: F280 bounce flash/flash options

Subject: [OM] Re: F280 bounce flash/flash options
From: om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 15:54:46 -0500

> From what I can see from online stuff and the
>manual, the F280 doesn't
>tip up for bounce--is that true? Hard to
>believe.... Is there an
>attachment someone's jury-rigged?

You'll have to use the BG2 or some jury-rigged contraption.  I don't think that
the BG will supply power to the F280 though.  I gave up trying.

>Still trying to decide which flash.... Am I going
>to be like you all
>and have three or four?  Yah, probably....  Seems
>like there's not just
>one that does it all.
>
>F280 - only flash in the world that allows sync at
>all speeds with the
>OM-4ti (right? no Metz out there that also works?)
>but no bounce, kinda
>bulky, and no auto mode for use with other cameras.

No other flash will work in Super FP mode but the F280.  None of the Metz units
support the OM circuitry.

I believe that the F280 works fine in Auto mode with non OM cameras; just put
it into "normal" mode.

>T32 - TTL, 3 apertures for auto, bounce flash...but
>no Super FP.

T32's are nice, especially on the BG2 with their quick recycle time.  They will
fit a Lumidyne 80/20 or Ultrasoft if mounted on a BG2.  I strongly recommend
the 80/20 for flash, as it gives much better results than a ceiling flash or
index card.  I even used one with a 16mm fisheye a few weeks ago and the flash
covered the entire 180 degrees.  I used to use T-32's a lot with a Quantum
Battery 1, which will run two at a time.  FYi, daylight usage of this flash is
back-to-the-1970's-calculation-mode, as you can't dial in the exposure easily.
(I have a Metz 54-MZ3 with the OM TTL module that works great on my OM4t.  It
has a very nice manual mode where you can dial the output from full to 1/32 in
1/3 stop increments.  I used it last week very successfully with an OM4t inside
on TTL and outdoors for fill-in on a digital camera.)

>T18 - nice n' compact, would actually be fine with
>OM-4ti on TTL, and
>on manual, OM-1 & MP...but no auto. By the time I
>calculate the
>appropriate aperture I'll miss the 20 second window
>of opportunity....

The T-20 is also a nice, TTL option.  They're quite cheap too.