[OM] Re: Why go digital??

Subject: [OM] Re: Why go digital??
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Mar 2004 21:51:28 -0400

> I'm not about to jump fully into digital yet, but I was doing some
> thinking along these lines:
> I figure my cost per slide for film and processing is about 30 cents
> each.
> If I drop $2500 on a new minimal digital SLR and a few lenses (it
> could easily run alot more than this), it would take 8333 frames or
> 231 rolls of film to save the cost of the digital equipment, not
> including memory cards, more software, storage, etc.  If I shoot 10
> rolls a year, that is 23 years!
> Now I know alot of you shoot more than this, and I do also if I go on
> a really special trip, but my point is for me there has to be another
> reason for going digital.
> Instant gratification of images immediately viewable and downloadable
> is the next most obvious reason, but I am a patient sort and I can
> wait for my slides without going nuts.  Besides, there is something
> very satisfying about holding a slide, and nothing digital comes
> close to the vividness of a projected slide.  And I do not have to
> spend hours at the computer to process each frame, and I know they
> will always be there in the future in spite of the inevitable
> computer format changes to come.
> I can do anything I need to with my scanned images of slides or
> negatives, so that is not a compelling reason.
> I use an inexpensive 2MP point and shoot digital for quick
> spontaneous snapshots, etc and I love it for that.  But I still use
> print film in my Oly stylus for trips (in addition to slides in my
> OM-1n) mainly because I find it so much easier to get all the prints
> back without any computer work.
> So.....help me out.....why is there so much excitement about digital?
>

> =====
> Don Shedrick

Well, I have a digital, but it is a C5050 at about $500, considerably less
than what you have quoted. Even then, if doing it strictly for saving money,
you'd likely be better off shooting film if only shooting 10 rolls a year.
The digital cameras will drop in price faster than you'd be saving on film
costs.

I still shoot a lot of slides, and still do the occasional slide show, but
my situation is obviously unique. I showed over 300 slides the other
evening, and was asked to show more (but didn't), and and a few days before
that showed 160 to another group. But these were shown for a special
purpose, not strictly for the quality of the photos themselves.

To me, slides are still far better than either prints or computer screen
images. There is not much comparison between a projected 4 foot image, and a
17 inch monitor image or a 4x6 print. Affordable good quality projected
computer images might not be too far in the future, or perhaps large screen
tv's, but even then I don't think I'll abandon slides completely, as I still
don't trust the media of digital for storing pictures safely. I need
something physical, that I can hold in my hand, before I really feel I have
a safe picture. If I were running a photography business, such as wedding
photography, that would not be an issue. But I do photography for a hobby,
and some pictures I take are to preserve memories. I want my pics to be
around 20 years from now, if I'm still alive, and I would never trust
digital for that, in spite of all the reassurances the computer folks give
me. (yes, I've heard it, as my son's work is full time computer programming,
my brother teaches computer science in university, etc., and then there are
the folks here who also say it is stable, but I still don't trust it. I have
personal experience with me and the delete button :-)

Having said that, however, digital is really quite a different thing, and
does have its place. For me its not either/or, but using both. I never
abandoned slides when most people shifted to only prints. I can remember
when most people abandoned black and white film when color film became the
in thing. Likely most of us here still shoot some black and white.

For many of us on this list, its not a choice of "either or", and probably
will not be for a long time.

Wayne