[OM] Re: Silly Film Question

Subject: [OM] Re: Silly Film Question
From: "Graham Battison" <graham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 19:27:26 -0000
From: "Bob Docherty" <lostkase@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <olympus@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 16 March 2004 02:41
Subject: [OM] Silly Film Question

 I see Graham seems to favor Agfa.
> Unfortunately, I can't discern whether its his film performance or raw
> talent that I am seeing.

Hi Bob,

There are lots of things in the equation and although it is tempting to put
it down to my 'talent' I have to say that it is more of a combination of
other things.
Could I just say at the outset that what I am about to type is the truth as
I see it. It is not British reserve or modesty.

I know from previous discussions about my stuff and my attempts to explain
it, that it can trigger feedback saying that I am too modest etc etc and
from
the cynic it can lead to accusations that I am fishing for compliments. I am
anxious to avoid both kinds of response because the former isn't true and
the latter pisses me off :-) So what have I got going for me?

1. I have the beautiful English countryside.
I have been looking at the photographs of the famous and the unknown for
a long time so I have an idea what 'works' and what doesn't. Subconsciously
I must absorb some of that and on occasion I consciously make a note to
'steal' what I see at the first opportunity. There is nothing new under the
sun and all my stuff has been done before by someone else and often several
times by me. That doesn't invalidate my shot's because I and others don't
tire of looking at stuff that has appeal for us, in my case the English
countryside. The same applies to cars, beautiful women, firearms etc. etc.

2. I have a ton of gear.
If I catch a good shot with the 21mm because the shot is tailor made for a
21mm I have the edge over a guy who has nothing wider than a 35mm. More gear
is good :-)

3. I make the effort
I routinely walk ten miles at the weekends. Anyone reading this has seen via
my posts to this list where I walk. Take this shot as an example:
http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Nassington.html

I would ask those of you who liked it to put themselves in my boots. You are
going
up an incline and you see that sky and that lone tree. You have a bag full
of lenses, filters etc. Would you come away without taking a shot? I don't
think so, or you wouldn't be subscribed to this wonderful list. You may get
a slightly different shot but it would be appreciated by the same people who
appreciated my version of it.

I'm not saying there aren't talented photographers out there, of course
there are but they are not driving trucks for a living (I am). For the few
that
have the talent it catapults them to an entirely different level. My shots
come from getting out there, taking as much gear as I can carry and
recording what I see. It really is that simple.

I use an unfashionable film that isn't of the super saturated variety. My
scanner (HP S20) is left on 'auto' everything which results in lighter than
normal scans which further desaturates. This sometimes gives a
'characteristic' pastel look to some of my shots if I don't put all the
colour
back in PhotoShop. I could correct the scanner settings but I like what it
turns out so I leave it.

(Not Olympus shots)
http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Castle_Ashby.html

http://www.geebeephoto.com/temp/Grendon.html

Am I pleased with them? You bet your life I am. However, they are arrived at
by a combination of effort, equipment, studying the work of others and
happenstance (film/scanner combination). That is not my definition of talent
:-)

--Graham