[OM] Re: Why go digital??

Subject: [OM] Re: Why go digital??
From: SAS Teachers <sasteachers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 15:13:49 -0500

>I'm not about to jump fully into digital yet, but I was doing some
>thinking along these lines:
>I figure my cost per slide for film and processing is about 30 cents
>each.

Did you include the cost of your present equipment in that?  It might give
a better comparison between the two if you did.

>If I drop $2500 on a new minimal digital SLR and a few lenses (it could
>easily run alot more than this), it would take 8333 frames or
>231 rolls of film to save the cost of the digital equipment, not including
>memory cards, more software, storage, etc.  If I shoot 10
>rolls a year, that is 23 years!

I think you would take more photos with digital than you do presently, but
I could be wrong.  Your point is well taken that it is expensive to buy
camera equipment!

>Now I know alot of you shoot more than this, and I do also if I go on
>a really special trip, but my point is for me there has to be another
>reason for going digital.

I think you are right.

>Instant gratification of images immediately viewable and downloadable
>is the next most obvious reason, but I am a patient sort and I can
>wait for my slides without going nuts.  Besides, there is something
>very satisfying about holding a slide, and nothing digital comes
>close to the vividness of a projected slide.

At least the first few times.   But have you ever noticed that the slides
lose something after they have been projected over and over?

>And I do not have to spend hours at the computer to process each frame,

nor do I.  I just do a few that are really special.  And, now, it takes
only a couple minutes to adjust.  Much less time than I used to spend in
the darkroom for printing B&W.

>and I know they
>will always be there in the future in spite of the inevitable computer
>format changes to come.
>I can do anything I need to with my scanned images of slides or negatives,
>so that is not a compelling reason.
>But I still use print film in my Oly stylus for trips (in addition to
>slides in my
>OM-1n) mainly because I find it so much easier to get all the prints
>back without any computer work.

But with prints, did you get back what you actually shot?

gregg