[OM] Re: E-1 Trade In for UK

Subject: [OM] Re: E-1 Trade In for UK
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:36:40 -0800
on 3/16/04 8:46 AM, Winsor Crosby at wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Olympus is offering a 200 pound trade-in for any old working camera on
> an E-1. Good deal if you live in the UK and are thinking about one.
>
> http://www.dpreview.com/news/0403/04031602olyuk.asp
>

> Winsor
> Long Beach, California
> USA

The have/had a similar promotion going here, trade in 'any SLR' for $300
off. I went to the local 'big time discount camera store' (San Jose Camera
and Video "Possibly the lowest prices anywhere!" -- yeah right! But I
digress...)

After explaining that I was trying to learn about camera repair as a
hobbyist I asked what they were going to do with all the traded in
cameras... a couple of the counter people conferred and determined that as
far as they knew, they didn't have to send them to Olympus... so they didn't
know what they would do. I indicated that I might want to look them over and
buy the broken ones (I assume anyone buying an E-1 would beg, borrow, or
eBay the cheapest SLR they could get).

The counter guy said come back in a couple weeks... three weeks later I
checked in and they said that they had not gotten even one camera traded in.
I don't know if they sold any E-1's during that interval to buyers unaware
of the promotion, but it sure didn't sound too successful to me. I think
this store sells the E-1 for ~$2000 otherwise... maybe that's why.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...