[OM] Re: Lube

Subject: [OM] Re: Lube
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 22:01:41 -0800
I use bicycle bearing grease, as has been suggested (I have some by
'Pedro's' and some by 'Finish Line'). I also use Dow Corning Silicone High
Vacuum Grease (~$20 for 5oz tube) made for lubricating in a high vacuum
environment hence no outgassing. This is much stiffer. I would recommend to
disassemble, clean all the old grease off with naptha (Ronsonol, the amateur
camera repairman's friend <g>) or denatured alcohol, then regrease lightly
with the bearing grease. Should be smooth as silk after that. Automotive
bearing greases tend to get runny in high temperatures.

Treading into dangerous areas, I suggest that you can find some very
interesting and good lubricants in the sporting goods shop in the guns
area...
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...