[OM] Re: WTB: Telescope adapter

Subject: [OM] Re: WTB: Telescope adapter
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 08:13:49 -0500
It's probably better that you should buy a good monocular or binoculars.
  The eyepiece on these inexpensive camera lens adapters is probably not
very good and is unlikely to have a prism to right the image since there
isn't much back focal length.  In other words, everything will be upside
down.  I would also suspect some serious vignetting with some or even
all lenses or else a very narrow angle of view.

The magnification will depend on the eyepiece focal length which I would
guess would be somewhere between 12 and 25mm.  Divide objective focal
length by eyepiece focal length to get magnification.  Probably
somewhere around 8-16X.

You can probably buy some used Pentax, Minolta, Olympus, Nikon or other
camera manufacturers binoculars for about the same amount of money and
have a much better optical instrument with a right-side-up, wide field
of view.

I have a very nice pair of Minolta wide-field 7x35 binoculars complete
with case that I bought on *bay for USD 16.  Not Leitz or Swarokski but
they didn't cost $800 either.