[OM] Re: Fill-Flash Questions

Subject: [OM] Re: Fill-Flash Questions
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 11:35:41 -0800
On Wednesday, March 17, 2004, at 11:12 AM, Adam Long wrote:

> In auto, my KISS technique is to set the aperture so that the shutter
> speed bar is just (1/3 -2/3rd)to the slow side of 1/60th. Without the
> flash turned on, this would result in the camera exposing the scene at
> about 1/50th. Turn the flash on, and by the time the 1st curtain is
> open, the sensor has already almost seen enough light to satisfy it.
> It turns the flash on, which then only has to 'top-up' the ambient
> exposure, resulting in a fast quench and little flash released. I've
> no idea what ratio results (it would be affected by distance) but it
> seems to work reasonably well. Perhaps someone with a flashmeter could
> measure the output?
> For important scenes, it's manual all the way.

Sigh. Thanks for the excellent explanation--although it wasn't what I
wanted to hear! IOW, in auto mode for the camera and TTL for the flash,
you AE lock with spot meter, then set SS to the slow side of 1/60th,
then turn on the flash and take the photo?

It seems then that specifically for fill flash, the Olympus options
(T32, F280) are not going to be easier or better than a non-dedicated
flash...right? In that case perhaps this L*ica flash would work just as
well...
<http://www.leica-camera.com/unternehmen/presse/data/03611/index_e.html>
All apertures from f2 through f11 are available for auto, slightly
larger than a T18, flash compensation +/- 3 stops. Expensive
though--$299.

BTW, Adam, what's the URL of your web site again? I want to go back and
look at those photos....

-Rob Harrison
Seattle