[OM] Re: OM-4 Purchase (new to list)

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 Purchase (new to list)
From: "Daniel Sepke" <fred42@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 19:32:21 -0500
The Circuit is not available new anymore for the plain 4. It was replaced in
faulty units with the circuit from the 4T, just without support for the F280
Super FP flash unit (would require the hot shoe to be replaced too). The 4T
circuit is also not available now and last time it was the price for the
circuit was over $300. The only choice now is to take a circuit from a body
that is faulty in some other way. Given that the circuit is the most common
terminal problem with an OM-4 you may be searching for a while. Plus you
will need to pay for it to be fitted. And then you may not be guaranteed to
get long term use. Most repairers would probably advise you that it wasn't
worth the cost based on what you could pay for another working body.

The seller has been honest with you in his description. I looked at that
camera myself and decided that I would not risk it.

My advice to you is to either ask for a return because you didn't know that
getting it repaired would be so high in cost. If he doesn't want to do that
I would buy it and see how much trouble it is in real use. Obviously you
must accept that the camera can't be as trusted in the same way your current
other working bodies.

Sorry its not more positive a view but I think it true that you get what you
pay for :(

Dan S.

I hope you do get a good 4 as I know I love mine.