[OM] Re: talking of OM-2000

Subject: [OM] Re: talking of OM-2000
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 22:37:14 -0800
Nice enough body. Just doesn't feel or act like an OM. Controls in
different places. Shutter is vertical metal and it doesn't sound like an
OM either.

Probably as well made as the double digit OMs, maybe better than some if
only because it is so simple, less to go wrong. The single digit OM
bodies were made to much higher standards of ruggedness, reliability and
longevity.

George has already pointed out the flash and body accesory
incompatibilities with other OM System gear. He also mentioned the
higher flash sync speed, spot meter and double exposure capability, but
didn't elaborate.

The spot meters on the OM-4 and 4 series bodies operate by pushing a
button that sets a fixed exposure based on the instant, narrow angle
reading. They have provision for averaging multiple readings, and for
readings base on highlight and shadow points, making for about the most
sophisticated exposure system ever for MF cameras and with some
capabilities generally unavailable on the best of current AF cameras.
However, they do not provide for continuous readings. A lot of people
love the OM-2S because it has continuous spot reading in Manual Mode.
The OM2000 also operates this way, and is the only other and only all
mechanical OM to do so. Unfortunately, it only shows full stop
increments of change.

The OM2000 is the ONLY OM mount body with true perfect registration
multiple exposure capabiltity. All the others require you to do a little
finger dance where you try to hold the film from moving with the rewind
crank while pressing down the rewind button and cocking the shutter with
the wind lever. The OM2000 has a little switch which alows the wind
lever to cock the shutter without engaging the wind mechanism at all.
The film never moves. A rather specialized use, but if you need it, the
OM200 is the only body that has it.

In addition to a higher flash sync speed than any other OM, the OM2000
has a top speed of 1/2000, higher than any OM-1, OM-2 or double digit
series body.

The OM2000 also is the only mechanical OM with self-timer
mirror/aperture prefire. In this respect, it is superior to the 1 and 3
series bodies for some uses. Take a look at Gary's lens tests and see
what a difference both mirror and aperture prefire makes.

Also, although the manual says you need to push the self timer all the
way and delay is 10 sec., it is a simple mechanical device, and will
easily set as low as about 4 sec. One of my few gripes about the 4
series bodies is that I have to wait through the whole 12 sec. delay
each time I want to use mirror/aperture prefire.

Final little tidbits: It has iso setting up to 3200. It has a little
window to see what film you have in it (OMPC has that too). The battery
compartment cover is ergonomically way better than other OMs, but made
of plastic.

Hey, I almost make myself want to take the 2000 out for a spin, but it's
dark out, so I'll skip it.

Moose