[OM] Re: OT Mi*olta Maxxum 7000i

Subject: [OM] Re: OT Mi*olta Maxxum 7000i
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 21:08:55 -0800
on 3/19/04 6:26 AM, James Royall at james@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sorry for the non Olympus post, but I thought someone on the list could
> give me an unbiased opinion. Ha, who am I kidding? ;)
>
> In Jan my father in law handed me his 35mm kit having gone to digital
> P&S. It's the body in the message  subject with  Mi*olta 35-80 4.5/5.6
> and 80-200 4.5/5.6, a Tokina 20-35 3.5/4.5 and a manual focus Kalimar
> 500mm mirror which takes some kind of adaptall style mount. Also a
> Mi*olta flash unit.
>
> I just haven't had the desire to pick it up, learn the controls and try
> it out - everything's plastic and while the lenses are quite compact
> the body is massive. I haven't had much opportunity to take any photos
> since Jan, but there's been no question of not taking the OM when I
> have. The one time that I could see it being useful (aside from the
> 20mm instead of the 24mm zuiko) is having AF to take fast moving
> children at play.
>
> Is the camera / lenses any good? Or should I just get whatever small
> amount of money I'm able to now selling it?
>
> Any thoughts are welcome.
>
> James

James - I got one of these a while back, and its quite a good camera for
what it is... Minolta was first to the autofocus game, and though I think
Canon has surpassed them now, they still are pretty good. The 7000i is a
couple generations in and therefore refined somewhat from the very first AF
designs. One thing that really helps AF performance is faster lenses; I
notice that you have the (typical AF kit) slower zooms. I'd ditch the 35-80
in favor of a 50/1.7 (probably available very cheaply and a good lens) and
then maybe something in the 85/2.0 or 90/2.8 focal length range. Get a
135/2.8 and a 200/3.5 and dump the 80-200/4.5-5.6, and you have a nice AF
kit for use in sports, kid pictures, pets, and other fast-moving situations.

While large and plasticky, the camera body has a pretty ergonomic layout,
and the controls are much less complicated than the typical digital
camera... faint praise I know, but I think you will find it handles pretty
well and yields good images. I'm not getting rid of my OM's or anything, but
I ran a couple rolls of film through and decided to keep the 7000i.
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...