[OM] Re: OM-4 Purchase (new to list)

Subject: [OM] Re: OM-4 Purchase (new to list)
From: ClassicVW@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 07:31:37 EST
If the camera behaves properly, there's no rush in getting it serviced. That
said, could a servicing perhaps avoid some mechanical problem in the future?
Maybe so. But the camera may not need a service and you'd be wasting valuable
Zuiko money. That's the dilemma of buying something used.

I bought an OM-4T and lenses from a seller on ebay who I could only describe
as "wacky" for lack of a better word. The transaction was anything but smooth,
but in the end, there was no deception, just a very strange person. I'm
fortunate enough to live near Essex Camera Service, a very reputable repair
shop,
and I brought the body and one lens there. The lens was stiff, then it jammed a
day after it arrived (aperture ring). I intended to have both the lens and
body serviced, since the seller told me the 4T was stored in his father's
camera
bag in the closet for the past 12 years. The repairman accepted the lens for
repair, and I asked him to CLA the body too. He took it from me and examined
it briefly, then walked back over to the window and thrust it back to me saying
"Body not yet need service, save your money."

So, my point is, you never really know if it "needs" anything as long as the
body is working fine. Use it for a while, and enjoy it.

George S.