[OM] Re: X & FP

Subject: [OM] Re: X & FP
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 13:54:37 -0000
FP sync is designed for flash bulbs which are appreciably slowr to 'light
up' than electronic flash (as are all flash bulbs) but additionally are
deliberately slow-burning for use with Focal plane shutters.  Electronic
flash is pretty much instant to light up, and much weaker in output compared
to bulbs, but *not* 'slow-burning', and therefore does not get the chance to
dump sufficient of its light on the film frame.

X sync triggers the flash immediately the first shutter curtain is open, and
if you use a shutter speed of 1/60, the whole film frame is exposed at the
same time.

Take a look at the eSIF where you can find the instruction manual for the
original OM-1, which has a table setting out the sync speeds possible for FP
and M flashbulbs, as well as electronic flash.  Good luck finding some FP
bulbs!

Piers