[OM] Re: Gear to go

Subject: [OM] Re: Gear to go
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 12:47:10 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Gordon J. Ross wrote:

> Even these two sites disagree, one quoting 1974 for the MD the other 1973.
> From dimentia site,  I had read that the OM without motor drive (mine has no
> motor drive ) predated 1973 and postdated the M1 so I assumed 1972 but
> posted the serial # too. So they continued making non MD OM 1's after the MD
> was intro'd.? or is the dimentia site wrong.

OM-1's with MD capability were produced in parallel with OM-1's which lacked
MD capability.  An Olympus dealer newsletter dated 1974 has this to say about
it:

  "Yes - there is an Olympus OM-1 MD.  It is identical to the OM-1 but is
   already modified to accept the OM-1 Motor Drive System.  It has been in
   parallel production for some considerable time and standard OM-1 bodies
   can, if required be quickly modified by changing the baseplate to a
   pre-wired one with drive aperture.  With the unexpectedly high demand for
   the motor drive system it is probable that the OM-1 will be continued in
   MD version only rather than make two models.  MD cost is very slightly
   higher, and it is a pure OM-1 in every other feature."

It's hard to say exactly when the first MD capable OM-1 came off the production
line, but the MD capabilities were announced along with the M-1 back in 1972.
I doubt it took them over 1.5 years to get it into production, so it's likely
that it was produced sometime in 1973.
                                        -mark