[OM] Re: My Name is Joe. I am a zukoholic

Subject: [OM] Re: My Name is Joe. I am a zukoholic
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 22:11:27 -0800
There are a number for reasons these lenses command such a high price. I
think rarity is the major reason. The lens was never very expensive, but
did not sell very well when manufactured, so there are not a lot of them
around. The lens is the smallest lightest Zuiko out there which some
folks like. Unlike the 35 f2 it will take 49 mm filters and is very
compact. Finally, some people really like the 40 mm focal length. A
little more angle of view than a 'normal' lens, but still not a wide
angle. While the 40 f/2 is not a stellar performer (particularly wide
open) it is the only lens of it's kind in the zuiko stable. The 40 mm
focal length is one of my favorites. I finally sold my 40 f/2 as I was
always afraid to use the darn thing with the price of them averaging
seven to eight hundred dollars. If i could find a reasonably priced user
one I would most likely replace it. I did just pick up the Voigtlander
SL 40 f/2 in OM mount. Brand new in box with warranty, ect for a bit
over $300.00. It looks to be a very nice lens. Exceptional construction,
fit, and finish. I am looking forward to getting my first set of slides
from this lens.

Jim Couch