[OM] Close focus/Macro WAS: Question regarding 35-70 Zuiko Lens

Subject: [OM] Close focus/Macro WAS: Question regarding 35-70 Zuiko Lens
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 08:05:11 -0800
Good points Moose. In particular one of my gripes with many "macro"
features on zooms is that they only work at the wide end, giving you
less than useful working distances. You are right that none of the
lenses I listed give you anything close to macro capability. If I am
doing much in the way of true close-ups I bring a macro lens, extension
tubes, or auxilary close-up lenses. 1:4 is not really adequate for most
macro work, let alone 1:6+ as you are aware I am sure. I find, even for
flowers, ect that you will want to be working in the 1:3 or 1:2 range.
As you have pointed out, even most 'macro/close focus' zooms won't get
you there.

The other poblem with using many zooms for macro work is the lac of a
tripod collar. This is not a real issue with a 50mm macro lens, but you
get a large zoom and then focus it close on a subject and the lack of a
tripod collar can really be a pain!

Jim Couch