[OM] Re: Need help removing a stripped screw

Subject: [OM] Re: Need help removing a stripped screw
From: Tris Schuler <tristanjohn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 11:54:00 -0800

This is none of my business, but first of all (if it were my equipment, and
assuming this isn't already perfectly obvious) I wouldn't go anywhere near
this kind of job without a drill press. Going into a space that tight with
handheld equipment is a loser.

Anyway, I haven't checked part in question but I assume John H. has the
rightdiameter in mind, and if so following is the link to Micro-Tools
International for the screw-extractors page:  http://tinyurl.com/3fbs5[1]

The item you're probably looking at is about twenty entries down:  LHDB15
Left Hand Drill Bit 1.5mm (0.0590551") for $8.95.

I checked my Bosch, Makita and Dewalt catalogs but no luck with anything
thatsmall. It could be their on-line sites will list much more. As it turns
out, however, Snap-On sells a high-speed 1.5mm drill bit for $1.75, which I
assume is of good quality (you'd need to set up an account to access the
Snap-On on-line catalog), but they only seem to go down to 1/4" (6.35mm) for
screw extractors.

I'd suggest absent access to a drill press (and some experience in this
work)any decent machine shop ought to be able to get the screw out with
minimal damage to the camera. Call around. That ought to be cheaper than
shipping it to and from either John or Clint, plus their labor, of course.

Tris