[OM] Re: Next camera, and reliability when skiing

Subject: [OM] Re: Next camera, and reliability when skiing
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 11:54:44 +0100

Falls can be quite dramatic in Nordic skiing too; I mangled the right side
of my face a few days ago in Norway (Kvitaavatn/Rjukan/Telemark), and I was
just herringboning hard up a very steep track when my binding pulled out of
the ski. I have had a number of big crashes skiing downhill in tracks as
well. An OM carried on the chest can be quite hazardous in such
circumstances; I tend to carry an OM in my pack, and a mju II in my pocket,
or a Rollei 35S in a tiny padded belt pack. My wife carries an Olympus APS
Centurion SLR on her belt, which is a good compromise; light weight, with a
great lens.

Johan's route (depending on side trips such as Kebnekaise) has relatively
gentle gradients for the most part, but with a 20Kg pack speeds are
probably mostly moderate. A large part of the route is above the tree line,
with birch trees being most prominent below  that. The climate is Arctic,
with very unpredictable weather conditions; not always easy to get a camera
out of a pack if conditions are bad.

Are you carrying food Johan? I have always started with around 5-6 Kg food
for a 6-7 day trip, but I know that  Alesjaure hut has food for sale (or
used to).

Roger Key

Moose wrote:

Are Alpine and Nordic talking at cross purposes here? I haven't done
much cross-country, but remember falls as rather gentle events.

Moose