[OM] Re: Rental of Lens

Subject: [OM] Re: Rental of Lens
From: Richard Lovison <rlovison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 10:26:57 -0500
Hi Joe,

This reminds me of my neighbor.  My wife and I live in a very remote area
which was great for doing astrophotography until my neighbor decided to take
advantage of the Massachusetts residential lighting program.  For a small
fee, I believe $7 per month per light, she decided to put up 2 sodium vapor
street lamps, one on a pole near her home and one on the electric pole near
our property line.  And the funny thing is my wife and I have no say in the
matter since there are no zoning laws in our town that would prevent this.
We would have to take her to court on some infringement of privacy thing.
So, in the meantime, I purchased a pen laser, found an old Primestar
satellite mount at the local dump, secured the mount on a steel pole with the
laser mounted on top and aimed it at the light sensor on the top of the
streetlamp.  I turn the laser on any time I wish to use the telescope and
magically, the sodium vapor streetlight problem disappears.  Now if I can
only build a stronger laser so I can vaporize the darn thing. :)

Richard