[OM] Re: 35 - 70 f3.5 vs f4

Subject: [OM] Re: 35 - 70 f3.5 vs f4
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 19:14:37 -0800
on 3/24/04 4:10 PM, Ali at farali@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I received the Oly Zuiko 35 - 70 f3.5 from 'olympusamerica' (off Eb*y). I am
> surprised to find the lens is very light. Do they refurb them and put all
> plastic parts in them? I also bought a 35-70 f4 and that is quite weighty in
> comparison to the 35-70 f3.5.
>
> Are these both made by Cosina? Just wondered.
>
> - Ali

The sweet little 35-70/3.5-4.5 lens does have some plastic components, hence
its quite light weight. I have four (or five...?) and all have endured well
and are very good lenses. The 35-70/4.0 and 35-70/3/6 are both quite a bit
heavier than the little one. The only 35-70 Olympus lens made by Cosina is
the 35-70/3.5-4.8 <-- note 4.8 aperture and this lens I have only seen and
never handled. I suspect it too has some plastic in its construction, but I
don't know that for certain. It is larger than the Olympus-made 3.5-4.5
lens. While usually ranked fourth-best of the four, I've not seen any images
made with one. I think its probably about as good as the common 35-80 or
28-85 zooms sold with the all-plastic wunderbrick AF SLR's from Canon,
Nikon, and Pentax.

Plastic lens construction doesn't automatically have to mean a bad lens, but
usually it is unavoidable that they are less durable than all metal
construction. In some damage instances, the plastic lens might be more
durable, e.g. a drop where the plastic doesn't crack. A metal lens probably
will be permanently deformed, but if plastic isn't cracked it usually
rebounds to its original molded shape (sometimes over a little time).
--

Jim Brokaw
OM-'s of all sorts, and no OM-oney...