[OM] Re: When you talk 50mm lens performance, define the lens! - was The

Subject: [OM] Re: When you talk 50mm lens performance, define the lens! - was The Harrison Ross Poll
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 13:52:35 +0100

>From my observations, I believe that there may be four basic types of 1.4
(may be only three).

1. Silvernose - those up to 200,000
2. Blacknose - non-MC up to ?? (maybe the same group as #1)
3. Blacknose marked 'MC' - I have two which appear to be identical re
coating , #7913xx and #10641xx
4. Blacknose without MC marking (but MC) - those over 1,080,000

This would match the 1.8's, where those marked 'MC' were only partially
multicoated, whereas later (MIJ) fully multicoated lenses were not marked
MC.
Thus I believe that the 1.4's MC-marking can be used instead of serial
number to differentiate the types.

Roger Key

Tom Scales wrote:

The two numbers cannot be compared, as there were so many more 1.8 made
than
1.4.

A 1.4 at 592, if I recall, is not the first generation and is a solid
performer. The 'best' 1.4 have a serial number greater than 1,080,xxx.
1.1M
is the normal test, but it is a touch below that.  200,000 or so are the
oldest.

Tom