[OM] Re: The Harrison Ross Poll LAST CALL

Subject: [OM] Re: The Harrison Ross Poll LAST CALL
From: Duncan Paterson <paterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 17:20:55 +0100
O.K. Here are my votes:

35/2.8 Shift
A very versatile and useful lens. Well constructed and easy to use although
I have no experience with shifts from other makers. I've used it mostly for
architecture and I find the results much more pleasing results than those
from normal wide angles.

35-80/2.8
This is my most used objective and it gets used with all subjects. It's
extremely sharp at all focal lengths, reproduces contrast unlike any other
lens I have, and is beautifully engineered. I really appreciate the
constant f2.8 aperture, especially when shooting in manual mode and in low
light. Although it's pretty heavy I find it balances well with an MD or
winder on the body. I can't imagine the offerings by others manufacturers
could be any better than this; the 35-70/4 Zuiko I once had certainly
doesn't compare. This zoom and multi-spot metering are what keep me
shooting OM.

100/2.8
What I like most about it is the compact size. The aperture is bright
enough for most purposes and is a fair price to pay for the small size and
weight which makes it my first choice for candid portraits. I find the
reach, sharpness, and bokeh to be ideal for this purpose. An added bonus is
its compatibility with the 2X-A with which it makes a compact 200/5.6 - not
bad for hiking.

Cheers,
Duncan.