[OM] Re: Multiple trips? was ...ADMIN stuff: digest distribution

Subject: [OM] Re: Multiple trips? was ...ADMIN stuff: digest distribution
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 06:50:21 +0000
Sounds exciting, for the most part ;-).  I know travelling becomes
boring, especially if the airlines are poor or the punctuality worse,
but arriving in a new place, with decent beer (not sure that applies to
many places in the US ;-)), pretty ladies, interesting cameras in the
shops and wonderful scenery has always been worth the trouble for me.

Chris

On 26 Mar 2004, at 04:53, Moose wrote:

> Oh Man! I used to manage a market research operation. I usually had
> 8-10
> field analysts on staff. They had to spend about 1/3 of their time on
> the road, in mostly unglamourous places around the US and Canada. One
> of
> the toughest things about interviewing candidates was to judge whether
> they would stand up to the travel. Mostly youngish people, they were
> invariably all excited about the travel, often that was why they
> applied
> for the job. Then the reality of extensive car travel within 2, 3, 4
> different cities over 7-10 days would set in after a while. And they
> might get paged in the airport on the way home to stay out a couple
> more
> days. Or they would be tring to get around rural Maryland in January in
> the last rental car available at Baltimore, the one without snow tires.
> That was the major reason we had a fairly high turnover rate in that
> job. Some few thrived on it for years, but it became a negative pretty
> soon for most.

snip
<|_:-)_|>

C M I Barker