[OM] Re: Why E1 over others?

Subject: [OM] Re: Why E1 over others?
From: Skip Williams <om2@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 09:14:15 -0500
Make sure your autofocus evaluation is even-steven, as I haven't heard that the
Pentax is any better than the E-1.

Read the review of both systems on the www.luminious-landscape.com.  Michael
really slammed the *ist-D for lack of thoughtfulness on control layout,
usability, etc.  Phil Askey on dpreview.com liked the camera, but had
reservations.  Image quality was excellent.

The E-1 is a marvel of thinking regarding setting control.  Virtually
everything is easily settable with a one-button-push, turn the dial
methodology.  No idiot modes, no menus for setting.  Take a good look at how
the Pentax sets WB, Shooting file size, and ISO.  Using the left-mounted
control dial (which I hate to begin with), you have to rotate the dial out of
the shooting mode to WB, File, or ISO, then use the LCD to set whichever you
want to change, THEN move back to the mode you were in and remeter.  Hardly
easy.

With the E-1, you press/hold the WB, or ISO, or File button, and turn either
the front or rear wheel to whatever you want.  I can change ISO's in about 1/2
sec from 100 to 800 and never take my eye from the finder.  That kind of design
was enough to win me over.  And I won't mention how easy custom WB is...OK,
maybe I will: Point the camera at a neutral subject, press the one-touch WB
button on the front, store the custom WB into one of four slots with an "OK",
and you're done.

Yep, I wish it had a built-in flash, but supposedly the dust-moisture sealing
was too difficult to do with the flash.  The F-50 is a very nice flash, thought.

Don't forget the ability to use Zuiko's or Nikon lenses on the camera, although
only in stop-down modes.  the Pentax scores one here for the ability to use the
K mount lenses.

6 vs. 5MgPxl?  It only makes a difference if you print full-frame.  Otherwise,
5x7, 8x10, 16x20 all use only a portion of the Pentax's chip, as you have to
crop off the sides.  The E-1 scales directly to these standard sizes.

The E-1 is more expensive.

Skip