[OM] Re: night time conundrums

Subject: [OM] Re: night time conundrums
From: "Piers Hemy" <piers@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:08:58 +0100
James

If you want useful comments on the 'faults', it would be a good idea not to
crop them!

>From the position and shape of the ghost image, I would say it is the moon,
or a light source out of the top right of the frame.

As to the vertical step along the right edge of the image (which is cropped
off) I note that there is a distinct vertical step in the left side of the
image where essentially you have photographed an illuminated mirror in an
otherwise dark scene.  I would place that (the combination of subject and
lighting characteristics) as a strong candidate for causing a flare-like
reflection in your lens.  Whether the off-frame light specifically caused it
I can't say without seeing the whole frame.

As to the 'scratch' I think you have the right answer - the intermittent
streak is caused by aircraft navigation lights, while the brighter streak is
the forward-lokking landing light.  The orientation of the streak simply
shows that the aircraft was flying fom a position in the lower centre of the
frame towards a point away over your right shoulder.  Varying brightness
looks to be because of some low 'cloud' which was lying between you and the
flight level of the aircraft.  Remember that in relation to the
surroundings, you are fairly high up, so the aircraft might appear on the
film to be coming from much lower than in reality (and the roof of St
Joseph's accentuates the effect).

Have you any more of the Libeskind building on Holloway Rd?

Piers